Songkran was celebrated last week. It's the long-awaited (by melting me, at least) Thai New Year from April 13-15. The days vary, because some places celebrate hardcore, and others just celebrate a little.
And by celebrate, I mean throw water. On your neighbors, on your friends, on total strangers.
Seriously. The coolest new year's idea ever, and I got to participate! First with Bpin and my Thai friend's little siblings, while we were standing in a river. Then, with my beachside neighborhood. We got each other wet but we also soaked the people standing in the backs of trucks as they drove by. It was a little embarrassing to do it with my neighbors since I was the center of attention. People put the giant hat on me, made me dance with them, encouraged me to move in...weird ways. The best moments of Songkran, though, were my competition against a few little girls. Probably they will look back when they're older and say "how cool is it that I got to throw water all over a foreign girl?!" I know I'll remember it well, even if they don't.
And good new guys: my aunt, mom, and grandparents are in Israel.
And they didn't take me?? I know, I know, you're feeling so bad for me at this point. Me being in Thailand and all. I do feel bad for myself, but because I've had a strong headache for the last few days. It's for sure from these dang allergies that have stuck with me ever since I came to this host family. Oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment